Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chasing Cars

On my drive in to work this morning, amidst the rainy weather that makes you wanna snuggle further into the blankie, I did a mental calculation of the phrase "It's been a while" i.e. quantifying actually how long a while actually is. Here are the results, based on persons I used to normally catch up with frequently:

The Bear -
Last saw him before I left for Ireland, the weekend before. Which makes it mid of June? So today would be about 3 1/2 months. When am I going to meet up with him? Lord only knows cos something or other would come up!


The LegalBeagle -
Similar to the Bear, last saw him before I left for my trip. How many times have we spoken since I came back? I think using fingers on both hands, I'd still have spares. But I'm not too worried cos he's well aware of it and all he needs to do is move me from the "friend" to the "client" category and pencil me into his lil black book!


Monday -
Last saw him on National Day. And it all went downhill after with work, the stomach flu and everything else under the sun. When am I gonna see him next? Ah - when the moon, the stars, the sun and everything else in the cosmos align! Might as well be waiting for the Apocalypse to happen, I reckon.


Ballz -
Sometime in March? Or was it April? I forget. Anyways, it was the one and only time he came to visit me in my new place. When are we gonna meet up again? Ah - I am not even gonna speculate on this one.


Now, don't get me wrong - I am not ranting. Merely taking stock - maybe because I am so free with my time, I have time to think about things like these. Sure - everyone has priorities and all. But here's the question: when did it all change?


As I said to Monday last week - I feel like I'm stuck in one isolated corner of the world. Like I went to Ireland and memos were sent to me but I missed them all. Memos that said "We're all gonna be staying away a fair bit now and we'll see you when we see you." So while his assurance is that I am not in that corner, and that all these are happening cos work obligations need to be met - I find it hard to believe.



If I just lay here
Would you lie with me
And just forget the world?

LB used to fit me in between a late Thursday afternoon meeting and before his footy session at 7. The Bear would clump all his friends together for a Friday night meal cos he has only that one time slot for all of us. 


We've all been up to our necks and over-the-ears with work before, but it has never stopped us from making that 45 minutes to sit and have a cuppa. 


Let's waste time
Chasing cars
Around our heads

You guys know what to do...






No comments: