Thursday, September 18, 2008

Numbers Bummers

I wrote the following to Monday yesterday morning:

The world has gone all topsy-turvy. From right round the other side of the world from the bursting of the investment banking bubble, to our own shores with all the "he-says, he-said". Everytime I turn on the telly or read the papers, I find myself shaking my head in angst. I wonder if it could get any worse - would my head one of these days soon roll right off my neck from the endless shaking?

For the life of me, I cannot recall a more dark and sinister period in my entire 33 years of living. It appears to be one crisis after another! "What's wrong with everyone?!" is a phrase that is constantly at the back of my head, awaiting the moment when it would rip lose from my vocal chords. My mum is praying it doesn't happen when I'm at some open space somewhere, lest she has to bring me toothbrush, toothpaste and soap at Kamunting. But don't you feel the frustration?

I certainly do and I'm trained in the field to manage and manipulate numbers. Yet, one can only take so much of it. $ 613 billion in debts, $ 85 billion in loans, RM 2.55 per litre, 911 disaster, 513 racial unrest, 916 Malaysian Day - You name it and they'll numberise it for you, Free-Of-Charge!

I recall someone once saying that you can rationalise everything that happens in our world through the theory of numbers. But in the last 2 weeks or so, I feel it has gotten way out of hand. I mean, all these numberisation is nothing but a terminology that someone somewhere said in some speech and thrown to the public at large.

Enough of the "he-says, he-said" thingy-ma-jig! Consolidate if you must to prevent the markets and iBanks from seizing up and shutting down. Storm the offices and demand a face-to-face if the Mafia style table-talk invites aren't being accepted.

For once, I wish someone somewhere would shut their trap and focus their thoughts on correcting things, instead of pushing the blame elsewhere, out in public to boot. Them who remain seen, should realise that each and every word uttered is noted and used a thousand-times over.

And the world today, with the aid of technology, has just too many bummers sitting along the sidelines, waiting for yet another set of numbers to bum along to the next!

Author's Note:
If you fail to see this blog being updated ever again, be a nice soul and offer my mum the drive to Kamunting so that I would still have my own full set of teeth after 60 days.

No comments: