Thursday, September 18, 2008

Au Dieu Font-tane Man!

Slightly over a year ago, I was handed this resume of a chappie with an unpronouncable surname. It caught my then boss's eye cos he was his fellow countryman (tho Martin was doubtful cos he said the surname didn't sound anything remotely Swiss!). But nonetheless, we rung the chap up and we met up with him one fine morning. Little was I to know then, that what was another face in a whirlwind of interviews, I was to make a new friend - a very good friend.

You know him here as the WhiteBoy and in the space of 18 months, he's inspired a number of blog postings here ~ from hilarious observations of the boy-mentality on sex, to what it takes to cut the mustard at work.

Through the WhiteBoy, I learnt to live life once again. Without Whites, the following would never be among my list of "Be there, done that:"
  1. Pick up my one-and-only touching the Below-10-bandwith dude
  2. Have cheese fondue
  3. Have absinthe (!!!)
  4. Dance like a 18-year-old on a work night
Despite the many-things he's not (though he aspires to be), the one thing that he is and would be is a GREAT GUY WITH KIDS! He single-handedly restored my faith in chaps by showing me that kids and men can go hand-in-hand. I don't recall my kids ever showing that much affection to another chap who is not family, save for Whites! He even took them to the bathroom when they needed to go at some futsal tournie!

Whites has been there through the good and he's sat there though the bad. He was the first person to know about Monday in some back alleyway stairwell one Tuesday afternoon. He was also the only chap who sat with me in the blazing sun when I had that dark day in March at work.

Why am I harping about this WhiteBoy so much tonight? Simply because today, as we had our last outing together before he gets on the plane and head on home in 48 hours, I realised that Whites has become about the only person I could ever tell everything to - and I do mean everything.

I may have gotten used to not picking up the phone and going "Rokok?" every few hours in a day and I may have gotten used to not crashing some party mid-week. I know with emails, Facebook and blogs, the distance is a mere physical hindrance.. Plus we're suppose to meet in Europe each summer when I go for our 1-hot-sizzling-affair every 365 days! But that doesn't mean I will get used to the fact that my ciggie-buddy-turned-soulmate is no longer just a hop, skip and run away.

So here's my tribute to this dude who has brought lots of smiles to my face and certainly brightened many a gloomy day and night.

All the best Boy! Here's to you enjoying the rest of your life!



The best picture I could find that captures the essence of this boy.
Whites is the one with the googly-eyes in the thick of things.

No comments: