Thursday, January 22, 2009

Small Mercies

grateful ~ adjective

 

  1. Warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received; thankful.
  2. Expressing or actuated by gratitude.
  3. Pleasing to the mind or senses; agreeable or welcome; refreshing.

 

I got an instant message as I got into the office this morning and it went like this: Bonus was crap.

 

Having spent the last few days with well-off gentlemen in positions of power and wealth from a country that is officially in recession: it has only serve to drive home how dire economic circumstances are in the world today.

 

Bearing this in mind, I could not resist the urge to respond to my instant message: Be grateful you even have a job!

 

I wrote way back in September (yes, it does seem like a life-time away!) that I could feel the anguish of the personnel of Lehman who went to work, only to be told, they no longer have an employer.

 

Things have come a long way since then, cos it wasn’t just contained within the big names of Lehman, Citicorp, Barclays, Bentley, etc. There are many mom-and-pop shops that do not make it to the news. In a morbid way, you could say they went the way of “Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust” as silently as the night.

 

And so, while I should strive to be more diplomatic in this New Year (yes – someone nailed a resolution to my head and made me sign it off), I simply cannot suffer the fools who whine and bitch about the food on their plate.


Please – grow up. Be grateful you at least have a plate still!

 

 

 

 

No comments: