Friday, January 23, 2009

Step Up On It FCS!

Paul wrote on his blog recently: With the current business climate, we need to change drastically the way we'd operated. I cannot help but fully agree with him, tho this may be my first stab at operating in a highly challenging global economic environment. 

Having been in customer service / marketing / sales almost all my adult life, one thing I have learnt is this: At the end of the day, it's the rapport and relationship that you build with the customer that gives you the edge. And in these wee tough times, you cannot afford to not be on top of that game!

My colleague and I have just been ranted at by our boss, for giving the customer too much information. AS IF there is such a thing as too much information!

True that it is a fine line we thread - between telling the customer enough, and telling the customer too much. But in my experiences of dealing with parents and their kids' education - no amount of information is too much! So what if it appears that we're spoon-feeding the folks? They have a right to it! They afterall help us meet our targets, and gives us the bonus money! 

If there is anything that I have learnt in the last week, with my Irish colleagues coming round, it would have to be this: 

I may need to toe the line, earn my approval with my boss. But I do not need to be submissive and play the role of the silent mouse. On the contrary, I need to occassionally bare my fangs so that I make my mark with the them who matters after. And if right now, getting the numbers earn would help me earn my colours - then by gosh I'll step up on it, for Christ's sake!

Times are changing. I should be glad that I can at least create the urgency for change to match it!


No comments: