Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Riddle

rid·dle ~ noun

  • A question or statement so framed as to exercise one's ingenuity in answering it or discovering its meaning; conundrum.
  • A puzzling question, problem, or matter.
  • A puzzling thing or person.
  • An enigmatic or dark saying or speech.

It’s half past 6 and I am fortunate enough to be home already, strutting around in my workshirt and undies (grin – yes I’m giving my neighbours a run for their money!). It’s one of em days yet again when the brain just seemed to wanna focus on searching for ONE answer.

There was a man back in '95 whose heart ran out of summers
But before he died, I asked him
“Wait, what's the sense in life?
Come over me, come over me"

And it’s the answer to a question that each one of us probably do ask at some point in our lives… what’s the point in this journey we call life?

He said – “Son why you got to sing that tune?
Catch a Dylan song or some eclipse of the moon
Let an angel swing and make you swoon
Then you will see... You will see."

Maybe it’s cos I’m growing older in less than 3 weeks. Maybe it’s cos the days just seem to fly by so fast that when you stop to look around, so much has changed, and you wonder – when did that happen?!

Picked up my kid from school today
Did you learn anything cause in the world today
You can't live in a castle far away
Now talk to me, come talk to me

My new colleagues have been meeting my angels the past couple of weeks. And each time, they turn around and tell me that my kids are amazing. And yes, they are. Cos at times, the way they see the world makes more sense than us adults.

He said - "Dad I'm big but we're smaller than small
In the scheme of things, well we're nothing at all
Still every mother's child seems to know this song
So play with me, come play with me"


And recently they have discovered the concept of secrets. Yet, being the child that they are, it ain’t all that difficult to get round their heads to find out what it is. And maybe cos they are my only companions in the night to talk to, I find that some of their ways are rubbing off me.

There are secrets that we still have left to find
There have been mysteries from the beginning of time
There are answers we're not wise enough to see

For while I may seem to be speaking in riddles and rhymes, it ain’t all that difficult to get round my head to see where I’m coming from and where I’m heading…

He said... You're looking for a place I love you free...

And it all boils down to the proverbial question – who am I?

The batter swings and the summer flies
As I look into my angel's eyes
A song plays on while the moon is high over me
Something comes over me

I think at the end of a day like this, in the middle of a week like this, I can be honest and say – I am ME.
~ A mother.
~ A daughter.
~ A colleague.
~ A friend.

I guess we're big and I guess we're small
If you think about it man you know we got it all
Cause we're all we got on this bouncing ball
And I love you free - freely

Despite my constant disassociation to people and things (I actually kept my office door shut and locked for the better part of this morning!), who I am boils down to a person not existing in isolation or on an island.

And so as I get ready to scoot off and shower so that I can go to IKEA (yes – again!) and clobber someone’s butt with a 110cm black board that was bought, returned and being bought again… why don’t you sit for a bit on your balcony and be ponderous for a bit.. cos here’s what I’m leaving you with for today..

Here's a riddle for you
Find the answer
There's a reason for the world
You and I...

Who are you and who am I to you?

No comments: