Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Bringing up baby

I looked at old photos 2 nights ago.. pictures of the home with my angels (2 small and 1 big please).. and it occured to me that time does indeed flies.

Most of the pictures were taken about 3 years ago. And when you put them then beside one of them now, it takes your breath away.

A few nights ago, someone commented that it was hard to believe that I'm a mum. That I'm not just a mum, I was mummy to two. Don't worry sweets ~ lately, I've been finding that hard to believe as well. And maybe it's because it's not always about Barbs and kids in tow, but Barbs, Lydia and Luke. 3 individuals.

Whilst growing up, I was forced to be independent cos my brother was constantly in and out of the hospital. I don't think it was a conscious effort on the part of my parents. But that's how it happened.

And today, I am bringing my kids up to be independent ~ and it's not a choice that they have. It extends beyond putting on your own shoes and clothes. It's about not having to depend on anybody to determine how you feel. It's about finding what works for you ~ yourself. And it is intended to be as such because they are individuals, not remnants of persons.

Lydia and Luke are coming into their own. You can see it so clearly from the way they behave, the way they express themselves and the way they are with the people around them. This is especially so with Lydia. And I think it's something that makes Puppy and I proud.

But coming back... In a blink of an eye of ten years, she'll be sixteen and Puppy will be ready with his shotgun. I hope by then, she would have found out who she is. Cos if she is brought up the way we intend for her to be, Daddy won't have to use the gun at all.

1 comment:

Sen said...

aaaah.... Choo!

BANG!!!!

Oh.

Sneeze....

Sorry.

You okay?