Monday, June 25, 2007

Lessons..

They say that men and women are wired differently.. but it was something that I never thought was true.. UNTIL I was watched Shopgirl last night.

It was the bit of the morning after Steve Martin shags Claire Danes.

And he goes, "I wasn't really looking for anything permanent right now. Though I really liked seeing you. I'm just traveling so much right now. But I thought maybe we should just...keep our options open." He further stresses that it's a "We're not dating only shagging" basis by asking her - Do you understand?, to which she replies "I do."


Now that would be something that is pretty normal by our standards.. well, maybe not so normal cos people don't make "speeches" anymore... but it's the next scene that really had me laughing.


He, being the chappie that he is, goes and visits his shrink. She, being the young girl, goes and have lunch with her friends. And the 'speech' is recounted, in the following fashion

He to his shrink

He:
I told her there was no possibility that this was a long-term relationship. She's.. you know, she's really too young for me.
His shrink: But you wanted to sleep with her.
He: Oh yeah. And I said that even if I know that this is not long-term, I still want to see her.
His shrink: And she understood?
He: Oh yeah.

He: ..I actuallty said that I like to sleep with her when I'm in town.

He: ..That it's a sexual relationship....we still should be able to meet other people.

His shrink: So you were really clear with her that this relationship has no future?
He: Absolutely.

She to her friends


Her friends: Yes, Mirabelle, the fourth floor. How do things go with the glove man? Oh yeah! Tell us all about it! Spill it ! You like him ? Does he like you ?
She: What.. He said he was surprised he was interested in me. He said he wants to give it a try.

She: He said he wants to cut down on his traveling..

She: …he might..you know, stop traveling-- completely.. ..and then we'd decide what to do it at that point.

Her friends: So he was really talking it with you?
She: Yeah, it seemed like it.

And I've been thinking to myself since the show ended.. are we really like that? Do some of us modify what we hear just so that we have something, someone to anchor to in life? Are anchors really that important?

Oh, I'm sure I'm guilty of the occassional getting carried away.. but after a while, you should gain perspective of it and grab a hold on reality again, right?

I shudder to think that it maybe possible that one fine day, I will be as clouded as Mirabelle Buttersfield, and exist in a paralel world all by myself.

Let this blog be then a reminder .. of the things that should never happen... to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow you're really into movies now, huh? i'm "Transforming" this Sunday haha