Monday, October 15, 2007

Hope for the Hopeless

Often, we do not realise how fragile life is. And how precious the moments that we have today. That the tomorrow might not materialise and all we've got was yesterday.

Often, we try to be the best that we think we should be. And in doing so, become somebody else. And because we thought it in our head that we were giving our best, we think that we were not good enough when it all fell down. Not realising that we were giving up without a fight.

There is a little boy from another country, who is being kept alive by machines that help him breathe. A little boy that came in one night, not 5 days ago. We served him curry cos we thought he was Indian when he was really African. He's never had it before. He liked it. He was always sick as a child but it got worse this time. And the next day, after the curry, his illness went into complications and he's been on life support since then.

I do not know this boy. I dare not go up to the ward to see his parents. I would not know what to say, being a parent myself. I could only imagine the excitement he had as every 10-year old would have had, about moving to another country. I could only imagine him being one of my former students coming in for the first time, first day of school, wide-eyed and full of anticipation. As such, I cannot imagine him, hovering as a spirit over his parents as they slowly come to terms with the fact that he's never coming back, and that they have to let him go.

Maybe I watch too much tv. But I would like to think that if he could open his eyes one more time, he would say to his parents that he had the best 10 years any kid could ever dream off. And that he would like them to try again and love another boy like they loved him. Cos if they didn't, his life and the ending of it would be a waste.

And that's really how it is isn't it? Something ending so that we can move forward for something better. Even though, we never think that it could be better, it really is for the best.

I didn't fight enough then. I didn't speak up when I should have.And so with that, I say this: I'm a great person. A great catch as others would say. I'm bright, intelligent, good at what I do and am always one of those bright sparks who are blue-eyed-boys and girls. I may not be drop dead gorgeous, but I hold my own next to beautiful people and not look bad. I have 2 kids but they really are angels, and it's not just me who say it. I'm kind-hearted, never really mean-spirited and I genuinely care without a word.

And so. If you walk away from all that to be with someone less than, then what the hell was all the time spent with me about?

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it is so, then I ask that you really see the beauty in the next person you date. And make damn sure that she's amazing and fantastic. For if she's not, and if she's less than what I am. Then I wouldn't be the only fool in this whole wide world.

And really, this one - I would like to be selfish about and really be just the only fool this world knows of.


No comments: