Saturday, February 14, 2009

Basement Days

On Friday evening, GarlicBoy wrote me this: "Excellent barb! So you! I love it dude! Miss so much seeing your emails love… Miss ya dude!" It was in response to an email and a draft of something I did for my ex-boss, which he nicely circulated to the team for comments. 

nostalgia

1) A wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, one's home or homeland, one's family and friends; 
2) A sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time.

"Why don't you go back to your former job?" is a question I get asked once a week (sometimes once in two weeks). And while my answer has always been "No way Jose!", deep down inside, I have often entertained that thought.

I do not know what it is about that environment ~ long days, long nights, endless hair-pulling, ceaseless game-playing ~ that draws me back constantly, like a moth attracted to the flame. I have been burnt there before, yet it is also one of the most fulfilling times of my life.

I have no complaints about where I am now. It leaves me time for things like help my friends out, build my smarts (cos apparently you're smart if you build something of your own, rather than have a job), spend time with my kids, write, read and exercise.

Still - moth attracted to the flame.

*Sigh* such is life isn't it? The grass is always greener on the other side, and sometimes, there is nothing more comforting that the familiar front lawn you tumbled, rolled and laughed around in.

No comments: