Sunday, February 1, 2009

To There and Back

My grandma is a shadow of her former self. This morning as we bade our goodbyes, I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eye, wondering if this would be the last time I'd see her smile back, and tell me to eat well, and of how proud she is of me.

I cannot help but recall when I was 5, how grandma rubbed cut shallots into my eyes, as a lesson to me for wanting to get out of a moving vehicle. Yes - I was reckless even then. And in growing up, I always felt as though the girls in the family had no value in her eyes. 

Her parting words to me this morning was this: I have watched you do whatever you wished with your life, and have never said a single word of reprimand to you. I can only continue to pray for you, and hope that you would always be blessed.

Yes, she is right. Short of that one single lesson, grandma has not said anything else about the numerous wrong turns in life I have taken. And for that matter, no one else in the family has ever as well.

This going there and back, was indeed good for me cos really, there's no where else but home that would still welcome you back with open arms. Come what may.

No comments: