Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Man Who Can't Be Moved

There's a song that's been playing on the airwaves of the station I listen to. Fortunately for me, LB has the CD so I could rip it off and load it on my thumbdrive and my MP3 player. It's got a pretty upbeat tune to it, and nice guitar works. Plus the lead's voice has that soothing raspy feel to it.

Going back to the corner where I first saw you, 
Gonna camp in my sleeping bag I'm not gonna move, 
Got some words on cardboard got your picture in my hand, 
Saying if you see this girl can you tell her where I am.

They say things like these only happens either 1) in movies or 2) as a story line in a song. I mean, who in their right mind would actually stand on the corner of Grafton Street (which is the corner I am presuming it to be) in a crowded city like Dublin where the weather is as balmy as our December months!

Some try to hand me money they don't understand, 
I'm not broke ~ I'm just a broken hearted man, 
I know it makes no sense, but what else can I do, 
How can I move on when I'm still in love with you... 

Yet, it's one of those things that one can at times, fully understand. The point of despair, but not hopeless despair. Which is an utterly horrible place to be stuck at cos you can't move forward nor can you move backwards.

Policeman says son you can't stay here, 
I said there's someone I'm waiting for,
Even if it's a day, a month, a year,
Gotta stand my ground even if it rains or snows, 
If she changes her mind this is the first place she will go.

I know it's just a song, but I suppose all over the world, there are people who are doing their own variations of this story. And it doesn't really matter if you're standing in a corner of a street, sitting at the back of a cafe, trolling under the bridge - it sure takes a whole lot of guts to say "I'm not moving."

People talk about the guy who's waiting on a girl... 
There are no holes in his shoes, but a big hole in his world... 
And maybe I'll get famous as man who can't be moved, 
And maybe you won't mean to but you'll see me on the news, 
And you'll come running to the corner... 
Cos you'll know it's just for you

I suppose if you find the one person in this whole wide world, who you absolutely believe was made meant for you, then huddling in your sleeping bag at the corner of a street, waiting for that one person to come running back to you, really isn't such a big deal. Cos to be without, it's like losing an arm, a leg or the entire you. And no matter what you do, nothing in your world or the world about you makes any sense any more. 

Cos if one day you wake up and find that you're missing me, 
And your heart starts to wonder where on this earth I can be, 
Thinking maybe you'll come back here to the place that we'd meet, 
And you'd see me waiting for you on the corner of the street.

The song is running its 3rd cycle on my player... and I think I can let it go on all night until I fall asleep... It's not often you find hope in despair.... If I had a corner to go stand it, I would do the same thing too...


So I'm not moving...  I'm not moving.

No comments: