Friday, February 27, 2009

Loaded as Loaded Can Be

Wow! It most certainly has been a loaded evening, when it was suppose to be a relaxing one. 

Tea @ 33

"When I think of a business idea, and I think it'll make some profits, I'd go for it cos I see the opportunity in it; not the risk," said LB as we sat down to tea before his footy. And it's nothing new this statement of his ~ yes, he tends to repeat himself. But hey, he's a lawyer so we'll excuse him for that.

As my unofficial legal counsel (ah - now you can't say no!), I am most comfortable talking bout my half-frog with him. Maybe cos he presents me with an unbias opinion. Or there is no history to muddle the waters or words.

I get what he says. I just need to wrap my head around this concept of stretching myself beyond my safety levels. 

The Imam and The Pastor

I attended this short showing of the above titled documentary at an Action For Life conference. A Nigerian-based documentary,  it tells the tale of how 2 leaders from separate sides of the city, re-discovered the essence of their faith and came together for a common good.

Surrounded by a roomful of strangers, I really did wondered what I was doing there - apart from the fact that I was a guest of my boss! I mean, what right or reason did I have to be in the presence of people who have gone beyond themselves, by taking up the challenge posed by Mahatma Gandhi years ago ~ Be the Change You Want to See in the World?

I am humbled, by these people (and the Imam and the Pastor too) ~ how they are able to change themselves, engage others, create answers and give hope to humanity. The very same things I am trying to achieve in my own life. 

I cannot help but recall these words that I read recently in Brida by Paulo Coelho: "
Judging oneself to be inferior to other people was one of the worst acts of pride, because it was the most destructive way of being different.

Oh! And let's not forget the words of one of the participants which has stuck with me since she said them, and they are: "
There is goodness in all man, even though we might find it hard to believe."

Slumdog Millionaire

I finally sat down to watch this highly-aclaimed movie. It's been sitting there on my DVD rack since the begining of the month, but I did not want to watch it - simply cos everyone was talking about it. Plus the reviews of it being a "hopeful tale" didn't quite sit with me. 

I like the way the story unfolded and weaved within itself. I am really not surprised it won the Oscar for Best Screenplay, having watched all the other nominated movies. 

But far from being impressed with its success, or how it captured the life of a poor boy in one of the two largest populated countries in the world - I am taken rather by how life's lessons imprints itself into your memory. Which was how the lead character managed to win the prize money.

Half-past midnight

It's raining now, and I have just put to rest the dilemma of the bug in my head. While I really should be going to bed, my mind needs to unravel itself first before I can find rest. And I need to find rest, trust me. But I have yet to find the connecting points on these 3 events that have taken place this evening. I know there is a lesson to be learnt, what it is precisely ~ I haven't figured it out.

I know what the main themes are ~ they sure are floating right in front of my eyes. But what is the correlation between 1) going beyond my personal boundaries, 2) forgiveness, trust and dependency, and 3) using life's experiences lead you forwards? (No, don't say the answer's in the song!)

Which is why this posting is called as it is: Loaded as loaded can be. Cos when Barbsie is feeling befuddled, she is wound up the tightest. And frankly, this coil is already so tight - pull it any tighter, it's not gonna just snap but break into a gazillion pieces.

So if you think you know the answer(s) to the above, be a good soul and shed some light. I really can't think anymore tonight. Not even for Clarkson.

No comments: