Tuesday, February 3, 2009

By the Rails

I am beat. Beat to the max and I am still waiting to cool down before I take a shower. As I said to the LegalBeagle on my drive back: There has got to be a better substitute than killing myself at the gym!

Yet I really should not complain, cos I have the ability in my hands to be at least able to go run 3 miles, and then some.

For each time I take the drive heading towards Subang, I see this man in his seventies, leaning against the rails and his crutches, with his hands outstretched, relying on the kindness of drivers to give him some loose change. I'm not sure what his circumstances are, that has landed him at this station in his life, but a big part of me says that a man, at his age, and health-status, really shouldn't have to be doing this. Where did life fail him? Or where did he fail himself? Or where did his descendants fail him?

I know he is but one of many out there who do not rest easy at night. And for that, I really shouldn't complain. At least, I can go tire myself out to the max and crash by the time my head hits the pillow, and before my mind takes a down-ward spiral towards unnecessary conversations in my head.

My never-ending calendar says today:
We need to have faith in ourselves. 
We need to have faith in our fellow human beings.

Hence, while the calls that I have made today, for the wee lil project I call Billie, has ended up with "Send me a proposal and we'll see where we can take it from there," I should not be disheartened. Just like I have to sometimes fight thru traffic to reach that man by the rails, if I really wanna do something worthwhile with my life (in case someday I end up by the rails too!), I have to fight the traffic to get there.

No comments: