Friday, February 20, 2009

Good Business

"If you don't mind, could you email me your mailing address? I could courier the samples to you by morning as it is better to review them physically than through email pictures."

This text message came in at slightly past 9 pm tonight and surprised the hell out of me. For starters - it's a Friday night, with the weekend looming ahead. Secondly, my quantity requested isn't exactly big - a mere 200 pieces at most.

Yet, this chappie in some sleepy town down south, thought it good enough to courier their products to me - even though I have already decided which of his items I am going to go with.

Now that is good business.

In these desperate times, nothing is more important than investing the time and effort in your customers. I should know. And in fact, I'm banking on that - all the way to the bank.

Going thru the accounts we have on hand earlier this evening with my boss, we counted about 6 to 7 that are raking about 90% success rate. Baring the kids screwing up their interviews majorly, these kids would actually be able to get on that plane and head out to Ireland come autumn. And I should have these accounts wrapped up before spring ends.

6 to 7 may not be a lot out of my quota of 20. But that would mean, I have met the number of kids we sent last year ~ any one else on top of that is gonna be pure luck. And even if there would be no one other than these 6 to 7 kids, I'd still be happy. 

Cos I know I got them in by doing good business. My investment in taking the time to answer each and every question they threw at me, staying up late to place calls to my colleagues at my own expense, acknowledging every email or skype message that popped up, would have paid off.

Something so simple, yet so neglected. Leave it to us Southeners to bring on the charm and treating customers the way they should be treated ;o)

No comments: