Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Fleeting Flight

We got some good news today: Grandma manage to sit in the wheelchair for about 30 minutes, after some coaxing. 

If there is one thing that I am not very good at, it would be death. Or rather, accepting that someone is going to leave soon. How soon? That's the other shoe waiting to drop.

Why I'm talking about such joy of my grandma getting up to sit, and my adversity to death? It's cos it's the inevitable. I'm not being morbib as the Bear says I am, but I'm being realistic. She is afterall in her 90s already. And even then, as I have just learnt, even the young can leave us without a word.

"I'm telling you all these cos I want you to be prepared in case you get that call any time of the day," someone said to me. Someone who understands when I say "I jump each time the phone rings and the HOME ring tone comes on.

I have said my goodbyes to Grandma - a bit pre-emtive, but at least that's done. There were much I did not get to tell my grandpa while he was still around, and for a long while, I had imaginery conversations with him, even though we were not all that close.

So while it is great news that Grandma is on the mend, as with all things in life, someday we will get some not great news.

And when that day comes, I can only pray that I have strength enough for the family to pull it thru.

No comments: