Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Guiding Hand

prin·ci·ple ~ noun

  1. A basic truth, law, or assumption.
  2. A rule or standard, especially of good behavior.
  3. The collectivity of moral or ethical standards or judgments.
  4. A fixed or predetermined policy or mode of action.
  5. A basic or essential quality or element determining intrinsic nature or characteristic behavior.

In this day and age, I often wonder what sort of principles guides our lives. Cos as much as we tell ourselves, society has become more or less amoral.

What used to be wrong in the eyes of society, went from being frowned upon to an acceptable norm. If this is the case in our generation, what about the next?

The word principles weigh heavy on my mind this evening, as I watch as dust falls over the skies of the city... It didn't use to bother me. But now it does. Not so much for my lack of it, but for the fact that living by another's set of principles is not the easiest thing to do.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It is. But on the same token, it just drives home the point that I may have fallen into the class of the amoral.

Salvation? Let's see how long it holds out for.


No comments: