Saturday, September 1, 2007

Jimmy Hoffa - not found

I moved out of my parents' house some 6 years ago. And since then, I have moved house oh only about 5 times. And in the 5 times, I have added on boxes to my life. With each change, more things get packed away, deemed never to be opened again.

Since moving into my current place 15 months ago, the boxes have been thrown to one corner of a room and well, it's just been getting a tiny-bit messy. So much so - someone commented the other day - do you have Jimmy Hoffa buried in there somewhere?

So anyways, taking the opportunity of a 3-day weekend, I have decided to empty 'em boxes and face up to what needs to be kept, and the others thrown out. Needless to say, with 2 curious kids on hand, questions of "what's that?" was abound. Some can be easily answered with the word "junk" and some ... well... shall be addressed in the next bit.

We came across old photo albums and Lydia wanted to look at them. I am sitting here, taking a break, trying to put myself in her 6 year old shoes as she looked at pictures of her as a baby, being held by a strange looking man. I cannot tell if she remembers who he is.. but for a spell, I thought I saw a shadow cast over her face. And it was heart breaking to see her try to squeel the memories that are probably very foreign to her.

I guess by putting things in boxes, I may have just been building up another jar full of maggots for my children to address. Which is not my intent. And so, the boxes have been opened, chucked out and things that should be left out in the open are.

I'm glad I did this. To be rid of them boxes and live out in the open once again.

Oh and no - we did not find the body of Jimmy Hoffa *grin* and yes - I do have a reading room now *smiles*

No comments: