Thursday, May 3, 2007

For the boys

You know when you were a little kid and you believed in fairy tales? That fantasy of what your life would be -- white dress, prince charming who’d carry you away to a castle on a hill. You’d lie in your bed at night and close your eyes and you had complete and utter faith. Santa clause, the tooth fairy, prince charming -- they were so close you could taste them.

It's been a whirlwind 2 days of break for me. I cannot remember the last time I had such fun on a day off. It's always been work, work and more work, that when I have time to myself, I am at a loss. But the last 2 day was just amazing, catching up with friends and spending quality time with them and the children.

It was over one of these such occassion that I got embroiled in an *oh* so familiar discussion with one of my boys. Yes - one of my boys. I have decided that they need some form of labelling for the special places they hold in my life. So My Boys it shall be.

It happened quite out of the blue over a paw-paw (still not sure if it's the same as papaya or not, but heck, it was delish!) salad and it started as my mis-adventures over my latest Keep-Barb-Occupied escapade. Contrary to what the rest of my boys have been telling me about these online sites, maybe, just maybe, I had hoped that there would be a nice looking decent chappie who had lodge his picture and a write up bout himself out there.

But eventually you grow up and one day you open your eyes and the fairy tale disappears.


Alas, I should have known better. After 3 weeks or so of this non-sense, I think I shall call it a day and be comforted by my thrashy novels instead.

So anyways, it was on that note (or somewhere in that vacinity) that Tall&Stable Boy (yes, I have yet to come up with a nick for you yet *grin*) commented sheepishly that maybe.. just maybe.. my criteria are a bit extreme.

Excuse me? A bit extreme? Err.. helloooo.. half the chaps that drop me a smile, wink or email are over 40 and have words like "vintage" in their handle!

Most people turn to the things and people they can trust.

But anyways, to cut the long story short... maybe he is right. Afterall, I could name him what I wanted in the next guy to come along and hey - he needs to have something out of every one of my boys! Yups - if I could have em rolled into 1, I would be the happiest champer alive!

As for which of their traits that I seek.. let's leave it for another day. When I'm really sure that they are no longer reading this. Can't have them inflated now, can we? *wink*

For it is the truth that if anyone of them rung, even at the 11th hour and said, "Hey - let's go out," I would cancel whatever plans I have and go. Even when I know that going out would mean sitting with them and watch their roving eyes, helping them along by the occassional finger-pointing, courage-drinking or simply be invisible when the occassion calls for it.

At the end of the day, faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you don’t really expect it. It’s like one day you realize that the fairy tale is slightly different than your dream. The castle, well it may not be a castle. And it’s not so important that it’s happily ever after -- just that it’s happy right now. See, once in a while, once in a blue moon, people will surprise you. And once in awhile, people may even take your breath away.

But heck - they are my Boys for a reason. And as my bestest buddies in this world, they do take my breath away and .. it's alright. I'm happy right now.

So in essence, while they may grow up and grow away, for now... I am a lucky girl to have my boys!

No comments: