Thursday, May 24, 2007

Till death do us part - NOT

I heard the most shocking tidbit over dinner at my folks' place last night. My dad's school chum has filed for divorce, after 30-over years of marriage.

It came as a shock cos this uncle is like a member of our family, always at the house, smoothing things over when my mum whines a bit too much, taking the lil rugrats out when they get too restless, and even mediating when I have a falling out with dad. The kids call him "Tok" and his wife "Nek". And these are really nice people who potrayed a very close-knit family.

After pulling away all the wool and such, apparently it's been seething for the last 5 years and it was all a farce cos they were waiting for all the kids to be grown up. *Ha*

While it is all well and good intentions, I think that was the silliest decision that good ole Unk has chosen to do. I mean, if you lived with it for the last 1,825 days (or 43,800 hours or 2,628,000 minutes), why not push more? Isn't that what "Till death do us part" mean?

Obviously Aunty is in a bit of shock cos she thought that he's over the issue. But then again, who knows how he thinks anymore these days?!

I'm not quite sure how I'm suppose to behave the next time I see him come round to mum's and dad's. Do I pretend that I don't know what's happening? Do I ask about Aunty?

I guess my dad said it all when he said that he's stuck in the middle. The bane of being the best pal. Tough luck dad ~ the scene with friends don't change, not even when you're 60 years old and you think that your friends are beyond the cheating-and-running game.

We get bigger, taller, older. But, for the most part, we're still a bunch of kids, running around the playground, trying desperately to fit in.

I'm just plain disgusted.

And I think the choice to have stuck with it cos of the kids, is another dumb decision. Did he honestly think his youngest is going come back from his graduation, going "Hey dad - thanks for sticking around till I could go out and get a job!"

Not. So Not!

No comments: