Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Slap on the wrist

Sometimes as we get older, we tend to forget the struggles of the young. The constant reminder to look at the bigger picture makes us forget that what are small pictures to us, would be a bigger picture to someone else.

My boss sat in on my interview sessions yesterday with some people who are coming in as waiters and waitresses. And it was a disappointing session cos each and everyone of them were gross-ly overpaid right now and each wanting to earn more money, without any thought of career progression.

Now if they were all fresh graduates and 20-year olds, that would be fine. But half of them were about my age and there I was thinking to myself, "Dude - where did you so go wrong in life?!"

Anyways, I guess at some point in between candidates I did express that thought out loud and from within the room came the reply, "Don't. Be. So. Harsh."

Yups. Written that way is the best I can do. But imagine this coming from a big Swiss man in his 50-s who used to be in the Swiss Army and a chef.

Now if that wasn't a slap on the wrist, I don't know what would be then.

No comments: